Wednesday 29 September 2010

Misery Signals CD Design

So i generally despise the stereotypical design that goes hand in hand with "metal music". I pride myself on being very diverse in my music taste and so come across loads of decent album designs, but ones that strike out to me are ones that dare to be different to the genre they are labeled with in HMV. So i'm browsing the metal section wearing my topman clothes and getting stares of dudes in leather trenchcoats, generally looking for decent cds. Never heard of them before, dont overly like them, but the CD artwork for this band was actually really nice from a design point of view and a big f**k you to stereotyping. No skulls, no blood, no crosses, just nicely designed pieces of artwork, that can be linked back to Andy Denzlers work. The lines of distortion crossing an image are used here, just like the paintings and although i doubt each was based on each other, these links are there and similar ideas have been put into practice, but in completely different formats and for a completely different demographic. This disregard for boundaries is what makes this for me a special piece of design.



No comments:

Post a Comment